Writing can be viewed as an indirect form of expression that involves. It revolves around the clear transmission of an individual’s thoughts over a certain matter. It is the process of using defined symbols( what we know as alphabets, punctuation marks, and numerical) to bring forth our opinions and views. Making use of a pen or pencil is known to be the basic form of writing (handwriting) and typing text in a document. Since time immemorial, the various forms of writing comprise- short stories, novellas, poems, scripts, newspapers, magazines, etc. The prerequisite for effective writing is to ensure a deep understanding of the language in which one chooses to communicate. Avoiding grammatical errors and giving optimum structure to sentences is imperative. Vocabulary is yet another crucial dimension for impactful texts. Repetition of words must be done away with as it makes the writing mundane and creates a possibility of losing the reader’s attention.
The pioneer forms of communication date back to the Palaeolithic era (roughly 2.5 million years ago to 10,000 B.C.) when early humans dotted the surface of the world lived in caves, huts, and tepees, and were simple hunters and gatherers. Majorly communication was primarily facilitated through making sounds, drawing, dancing, acting, and using symbols. Storytelling was the bridge to sharing stories. Writing, in the first place, was developed to convey across time and space, which eventually became an integral part of our regular tasks. Through the course of years, humans have altered and enriched writing to reflect their complicated needs and desires. Scholars generally agree that the earliest form of writing appeared almost 5,500 years ago in Mesopotamia (present-day Iraq). Early pictorial signs were gradually substituted by a complex system of characters representing the sounds of Sumerian (the language of Sumer in Southern Mesopotamia) and other languages.
Human Writing vs. AI
The key point that differentiates human writing from AI is the exceptionality of content and portrayal of opinion through humans, whereas AI focuses on sharing just the relevant data for the concerned topic. AI takes into consideration a highly mainstream and general approach when it comes to transmitting information or data. It does not include the details, specifications, and nuances of matters.
Difference Between Human Writing vs. AI in Tabular Form
|Parameters of Comparison
|Humans possess the ability to depict emotions through writing. They are subjected to unique and captivating content that cannot be done justice through AI mechanisms.
|Artificial intelligence produces writing which stands on the algorithms and patterns it has been trained on. It does not show the same level of creativity as humans.
|Humans have the ability to add a tinge of sarcasm, irony, and satire to their content. They deeply comprehend the nuances of human life and convey ideas accordingly.
|Although AI can be trained to perceive and respond to emotions, it lacks the ability to express its own feelings.
|Humans have the ability to add a tinge of sarcasm, irony and satire to their content. They deeply comprehend the nuances of human life and convey ideas accordingly.
|Artificial intelligence may or may not comprehend and interpret the language nuances and cultural context, leading to misinterpretation or even errors in writing.
|Experience and expertise
|Humans can share their experiences, know-how, and expertise through writing, which makes their work more enriching and captivating.
|AI, on the other hand, can only provide information based on the data it has been trained on, without any personal experience or expertise.
What is Human Writing?
In order to organize and convert human ideas into durable representations of human language, writing systems use a variety of physical, neurological, and neuropsychological processes. Writing is a means of communication that enables people to permanently and concretely express their opinions, ideas, and experiences. Humans have utilized writing for thousands of years to preserve history, chronicle cultural customs and beliefs, and transmit information between generations.
Humans utilize writing systems, which may consist of alphabets, ideographs, or other symbols that reflect the spoken language when they write.
An instrument, like a pen or keyboard, and a medium, like paper or a computer screen, are also necessary for writing. The medium is where the symbols are inscribed.
From early pictographic and hieroglyphic scripts to the sophisticated writing systems employed today, human writing has developed over time. Writing may take on many different forms, such as technical writing, academic writing, fiction, and poetry. It is an essential ability in today's culture since it allows people to communicate effectively and efficiently in a variety of situations.
Human writing comprises various types, some of which are mentioned below:
- Creative writing: Fiction, poetry, theater, and other genres of imaginative writing that emphasize engrossing and aesthetic expression while presenting a tale are all considered to be creative writing. In a time when women were oppressed and lacked the freedom to control their own destinies, iconic and sensational authors like Jane Austen turned to writing as a form of expression.
- Academic writing: This includes the organization and formal tone of scholarly essays, research papers, and other types of writing. Adam Smith's "The Wealth of Nations" This 1776 book is regarded as one of the founding works of modern economics. Smith presents his viewpoints on the division of work, free markets, and the function of government in the economy in this essay.
- Technical writing: This comprises instruction manuals, user manuals, and other written resources that help explain how to utilize a specific good or service. Apart from this, white papers (detailed reports that provide information on a certain issue) and research papers (used to portray the results of scientific research) also fall under technical writing.
- Business writing: Emails, memoranda, reports, and other documents deemed crucial in a professional setting to disseminate information or make choices are at the center of this.
- Journalism: This includes writing that reports and disseminates information about current events and topics, such as news articles, feature stories, and other forms of writing.
- Personal writing: Journals, diaries, and other writing materials intended for personal reflection fall under this category.
- Travel writing: Writing on travel encounters, locations, and cultures falls under this category.
- Scientific writing:- Research papers, lab reports, and other pieces of literature that convey scientific discoveries and research fall under this category.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
As is said quite often, necessity is the mother of all inventions; several creations and innovations have modified the way this world operates. One of the most iconic extensions to the world of technology happens to be artificial intelligence. The goal of artificial intelligence (AI), a subfield of computer science, is to build intelligent machines that are capable of carrying out tasks that traditionally require human intelligence, such as speech recognition, decision-making, and problem-solving. In simple words, The replication of human intelligence functions by machines, particularly computer systems, is known as artificial intelligence. It is perceived to be similar to the real human brain. Be it performing complicated surgeries on humans or a child seeking help in a mathematical calculation, artificial intelligence enjoys significant goodwill in every task. Due to the proliferation of data and the development of more potent computing systems in recent years, AI has grown in importance. From healthcare and transportation to banking and manufacturing, it has the potential to revolutionize a wide range of industries. In fields including speech recognition, picture classification, and autonomous driving, AI has already produced spectacular results.
However, in spite of the tremendous boons of AI, there are equal concerns about the incessant scrutiny it has imposed in areas of jobs, privacy, and ethics. A closer look at the advantages and disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence would help in comprehending the same better.
Advantages of Artificial Intelligence-
- Reduction in error
The ability of artificial intelligence to drastically minimize errors and improve accuracy and precision is one of its main benefits. Every decision made by AI is based on data that has already been obtained and a certain set of algorithms. When properly coded, these errors can be eliminated completely.
- 24*7 Accessibility
Numerous studies have shown that humans only work productively for three to four hours each day on average. To balance their personal and professional lives, people also require breaks and vacation time. However, AI can operate continuously without rest. They can multitask with accuracy and think far more quickly than humans can. With the aid of AI algorithms, they can even do difficult repetitive tasks without difficulty.
- Novel ideas
AI is the driving force behind several developments that will help humans solve the bulk of difficult problems in virtually every sector.
- Applications in Medicine
With applications in everything from drug development and clinical trials to diagnosis and therapy, AI has significantly advanced the field of medicine. Doctors and researchers may analyze patient data, spot potential health hazards, and create individualized treatment plans with the use of AI-powered tools. Patients may experience improved health outcomes as a result, and new medical technology and therapies may develop more quickly.
It is true to say that appearances are often deceptive. What seems to glitter isn't always gold. Several negative consequences follow the brighter side of artificial intelligence.
Robots are one use of artificial intelligence that, in some situations, are replacing jobs and raising unemployment. As a result, some assert that there is always a possibility of job loss as a result of chatbots and robots taking the place of people.
For instance, in certain more technologically advanced countries like Japan, robots are regularly used to replace human resources in industrial enterprises. This isn't always the case, though, since it also gives people more opportunities to work and sometimes even replaces them to boost productivity.
- No morals
Morality and ethics are significant human traits that can be challenging to include in an AI. Numerous people are worried that as AI develops quickly, humans will one day become completely exterminated by it. The AI singularity is at this point in time.
- Made people lazy
The majority of laborious and repetitive operations are automated by AI technologies. We tend to engage our brains less and less because we do not need to memorize information or solve puzzles to complete tasks. Future generations may experience issues as a result of this AI addiction.
- Have no sentiments
We have been taught from a young age that neither machines nor computers have feelings. Humans work as a team, and leading a team is crucial to accomplishing objectives. There is no doubt that when working successfully, robots are superior to humans, but it is also true that human connections, the cornerstone of teams, cannot be substituted by computers.
Difference Between Human Writing And AI Writing in Points
- The writing styles of people might change in response to criticism and suggestions from others; on the other hand, the only way AI can get better is by retraining or tweaking its algorithms.
- Searching for tell-tale indications that the content was produced by an algorithm can help us figure out if something was authored by AI. For instance, writing produced by AI can have a formulaic structure, shorter phrases, and a simpler vocabulary. Text produced by AI might also lack the context and nuance seen in text authored by a human.
- AI models may display certain biases or trends in their writing since they are trained on particular datasets. An AI model trained in news articles, for instance, might produce overly formal or technical prose, whereas an AI model trained in social media postings might produce more conversational and informal text. Humans, on the other hand, can write with bias, either knowingly or unwittingly.
In spite of the progress the world has made, there will always be significant differences between what humans can do and what AI can do. Human writing is identified by its creativity and emotions, whereas artificial intelligence is characterized by its speed, accuracy, and capacity to produce vast amounts of content. According to some predictions about the future, the most successful writing will be a combination of both, that is, human input and artificial intelligence, to produce educational and entertaining content.